Everyone loves their fair share of chocolate, am I right? So what better way to celebrate International Chocolate Day (yes, it’s a real thing!) than by sharing one of our favorite chocolate recipes with you today- Dark Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Banana Bites!
These babies are not only delicious but a rather healthy alternative compared to most chocolate-y desserts, and even better, these have been diabetic friendly approved by one of our very own Registered Dietitians. Which means these can be enjoyed without worry of any blood sugar spikes. So without further ado, here’s how to make these little morsels!
2 medium bananas
1/4 cup all natural peanut butter (no added sugars)
3/4 cup dark chocolate baking chips
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the bananas into even slices and lay half the slices on the parchment.
2. Spread a small bit of peanut butter on the arranged banana slices and cover each one with a non-peanut buttered banana slice to make tiny “sandwiches.” Place tray in freezer for about 30 minutes until frozen.
3. Spoon the coconut oil and dark chocolate baking chips into a microwave safe bowl and microwave until melted. Use small increments of time (15 seconds each) and stir the chocolate between each increment to avoid over cooking. Microwave until smooth. The coconut oil in this step is not essential, but it keeps the chocolate from hardening too quickly and makes dipping much easier!
4. Drop one banana bite at a time in the bowl and use a spoon to fully cover with chocolate. Use a fork to scoop the chocolate covered bite out of the bowl, tap it on the side a few times to shake off any excess chocolate. Place bite back on the parchment paper.
5. Freeze bites for 1 hour or until chocolate is completely hardened and then enjoy!