We’re officially getting into fall, and what’s one of the best things about the season? Carving pumpkins! It’s a great activity with family and friends and has the added benefit of yielding not only spooky decorations but a rather delicious snack!
Roasted pumpkin seeds have a huge amount of health benefits, and are super easy to make. The seeds are rich in antioxidants that protect against disease and reduce inflammation, magnesium which helps with blood pressure, heart and bone health, and regulating blood sugar levels. The whole seeds contain fiber which reduces the risk of heart disease, diabetes and obesity along with unsaturated fats (the good for your heart kind!) and don’t forget iron and zinc.
So without further ado, here’s how you make this super simple snack!
- Seeds from pumpkin
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Salt to taste
1. Scoop out all the seeds and “meat” from the pumpkin
2. Put all the pumpkin meat into a strainer, separate seeds from the meat and rinse clean
3. Pat seeds dry with a paper towel and arrange on a baking tray in a single layer
4. Drizzle seeds with olive oil and salt lightly to taste
5. Bake seeds at 400°F until golden browned (about 5-20 min)
6. Remove tray from oven and let the roasted seeds cool before eating!
Serving Size: 1 handful!