We polled our dietitians to find out what their favorite foods are, and (believe it or not) the most common answer was pizza! This is a dish that clearly is a crowd pleaser, but how can we enjoy those sweet pizza pies without overloading on carbs? Fear not, we’ve got a great recipe for you today from the American Diabetes Association’s My Food Advisor that is a quick, easy AND low carb version to satisfy those pizza cravings.
- 1 (10-inch) spinach flour tortilla
- 1/4 C pizza sauce
- 1/8 tsp dried pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 ounce sliced turkey pepperoni, cut in half or 1 ounce extra-lean diced ham
- 1/4 C thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 C thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1/4 C chopped fresh basil
- 1 ounce shredded part-skim mozzarella
1 Coat both sides of the tortilla with cooking spray. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook tortilla 2 minutes.
2 Turn tortilla over. Using back of a spoon, spread the sauce evenly over all and sprinkle with remaining ingredients in order listed. Cover and cook 2 minutes or until cheese has melted. Remove and let stand 1 minute to allow the tortilla to become crisp. Cut into 4 wedges.
Choices/Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1/2 Fat
Recipe on ADA website with credit to the Two-Step Diabetes Cookbook by Nancy S. Huges