Happy National Nutrition Month! The month of March has been designated as National Nutrition Month since 1973 by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics as a way to promote healthy eating habits and nutrition education to the public. This month the theme is going back to basics and focusing on simple tips for making more healthful decisions. Check out the list of key messages from the campaign below!
1. Discover the benefits of a healthy eating style.
2. Choose foods and drinks that are good for your health.
3. Include a variety of healthful foods from all of the food groups on a regular basis.
4. Select healthier options when eating away from home.
5. Be mindful of portion sizes. Eat and drink the amount that’s right for you, as MyPlate encourages us to do.
6. Keep it simple. Eating right doesn’t have to be complicated.
7. Make food safety part of your everyday routine.
8. Help reduce food waste by considering the foods you have on hand before buying more at the store.
9. Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
10. Consult the nutrition experts. Registered Dietitian Nutritionists can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.