They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and with these zesty breakfast quesadillas we’re sure you won’t want to skip it! These are quick and easy to make and have a lot of room for customization with your type of cheese, veggies to include, and even switching the bacon for chorizo! So before we all start drooling, we’ve got the recipe below (big thanks to the ADA Diabetes Food Hub for sharing!) so let’s get cooking!
- 1/4 cup canned green chiles
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 10-inch whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (or use Mexican blend, Monterey jack, or pepper jack)
- 4 slices turkey bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- Coat a small skillet lightly with cooking spray.
- Saute green chiles over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes. Add beaten eggs and cook, stirring, until scrambled and set. Season with pepper.
- Coat a second, large skillet lightly with cooking spray. Place one tortilla in the skillet and cook over medium heat until air bubbles begin to form, about 1 minute. Flip tortilla over and cook for 1 minute more (do not let tortilla get crispy).
- Spread half the cheese evenly over the tortilla, covering to the edges.
- Reduce heat to low. Quickly arrange half the cooked bacon and half the egg mixture over the cheese. Cook until the cheese starts to melt, about 1 minute.
- Fold tortilla in half to create a half-moon shape. Flip folded tortilla over and cook until it is lightly toasted and the cheese filling is completely melted, 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the quesadilla to a cutting board. Re-coat the skillet with cooking spray, and repeat with the second tortilla and remaining cheese, bacon, and egg mixture.
- Cut each quesadilla into 3 wedges and serve immediately with fresh salsa.