We’ve officially entered into summer and the beautiful warm weather that goes with it! With the Fourth of July holiday coming up (and just summer in general) there are sure to be barbecues around every corner. With barbecues come delicious foods and so much temptation! Don’t fear, we’ve got a delicious and indulgent recipe that is perfectly light, fruity and refreshing and is sure to impress even the most discerning of palates. This recipe is credited to the ADA’s Diabetes Food Hub, so a bit thank you to them!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened graham cracker flour
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp lemon zest, freshly grated (for crust)
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt (no added maple syrup)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp lemon zest, freshly grated (for filling)
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper, then coat it with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make the crust, add graham cracker flour, avocado oil, 2 teaspoons lemon zest, and salt to the bowl of a food processor; pulse to combine. Press mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Then remove pan from the oven and set aside to cool.
- To make the filling, process the egg, egg whites, yogurt, maple syrup, lemon juice, and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon zest in a blender until smooth. Stir in the fresh blueberries. Pour the filling onto the pre-baked crust.
- Transfer pan to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the center is set. Remove pan from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 16 equal-sized squares and serve chilled or at room temperature.